[mythtv] MythTV on Solaris

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Feb 12 21:01:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

> The main hurdle is a V4L or V4L2 API,
> so that Solaris can actually talk to a DVB card,
> with working big-endian drivers for your card.
>

> Last time I tried a build (over 2 years ago),
> there was one partial V4L hack on the web,
> but I didn't try building against it.
>
> Other than that, there were about 70 compile
> problems - mainly due to differing headers.
> I managed to get a mythfrontend built,
> but without any Xv acceleration, performance
> on my SparcStation 5 was woeful.
> I didn't go any further.
>

> The "worldwide market" for this is pretty small.
> Are you sure you can't just find a spare old PC?

I've thought about this option before mainly in order to get ZFS for
my storage partitions.  The volume management aspects of it are
attractive for Myth.  I use LVM now, but ZFS is more straightforward
in a lot of ways to manage.  Also recall that you can run OpenSolaris
on a spare old PC as well.  Nothing says you have to run Solaris/Sparc
necessarily.  I would imagine that this would be the most useful in
the same way the port of the Mac backend is; that you can use it with
something like HDHomerun or Firewire to do the capturing.  This way
you wouldn't necessarily need DVB/V4L2.