[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19392 - in trunk/mythtv by nigel

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Dec 19 01:32:54 UTC 2008

* On Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 12:45:40PM +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Perhaps we should look into making the whole software encoder optional
> with the proliferation of digital broadcasting?

Other than recording, the other use of NVR is mythtranscode.  With
the proliferation of bigger hard drives, this is probably declining
as well though.  That's one of the reasons I haven't been as
motivated to finish working on my patch that enables use of any
libavcodec codec and libavformat container inside NVR.  I am only
one hard drive upgrade away from turning off all my auto-transcode
jobs.  After that my main/only use of mythtranscode will be cutting
commercials out of recordings that I want to keep such as the 200+
cartoon episodes I keep around for my 2.5 year old.

Adding support in NVR for a different audio format in .nuv files is
fairly easy.  As an early experiment for my patch, I hacked
NVR to write out AC3 audio in the .nuv file.  The NuppelDecoder
class supports .nuv files with AC3 audio because I switched
NuppelDecoder from using lame to libavcodec for decoding a long
time ago and added AC3 as a valid audio format.

--
Chris