[mythtv] Mythweb Tv Details improvement

ben8402 at speakeasy.net ben8402 at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 12 02:31:03 UTC 2008

I built a pvr system for my parents using the .20 version of mythtv.
My parents only know how to use the mythweb method of scheduling recordings, but
rarely do so because of the intimidating options.

I download the trunk mythweb and was glad to see most of the options hidden
behind an advanced menu dialog, but I thought I could make it even easier to
schedule a recording.
My biggest problem is that to schedule a recording, you must go to a seperate tv
detail page and lose your place on the previous page. This is especially a
problem when selecting form a large search list.

I think it would be better to have the tv page pop up on top of the list page, so
that the browsing flow wouldn't be interrupted by a pageload.

I have partially done something like this using two fullscreen div's and a small
amount of copypasta javascript:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8767/mythwebfo5.png

The two div's are empty, hidden, and fixed in front of the page with a high
z-value. Clicking on a show title from the list page causes the normal detail
page to be be ajax'ed into the empty div with a transparent background. The other
div creates the fullscreen grey-out effect.

I simply turned the link from :/mythweb/tv/detail/1002/1229036400
to javascript:overlay('/mythweb/tv/detail/1002/1229036400')

The only changes to the title page were the commenting out of the header and
footer and the addition of a close-button.

As it is now, clicking on any button on a modified or unmodified svn mythweb
detail page causes a blank page, but I am fairly certain that php buttons causing
a full page reload can be easily done by the above method. The only difficulty
would be the in-page javascripts, which are not parsed when ajax'ed in. These
scripts would have to be put into a separate .js file.

I would appreciate thought and comments on the idea. I can upload my edited
mythweb folder if anyone wants to look at it, and I would be thrilled if someone
who has a working trunk backend/mythweb combination tested the changes.