[mythtv] trunk make error. Worth a ticket?

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Thu Dec 4 19:48:12 UTC 2008

>>> Sorry for the cross post, I thought devs would know what this means
>>> or if I should enter a ticket?
>>>
>>> I am on F10, SVN from today ( tried one from a week ago too ) and am
>>> getting this:
>>> ( here is the configure command too: ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>>> --enable-opengl-video --enable-opengl-vsync --enable-dvb
>>> --enable-libfaad --enable-proc-opt )
>>>

>>> make[2]: Entering directory
>>> `/usr/local/mythtv/mythtv/libs/libavformat' gcc -c -pipe -march=core2
>>> -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
>>> -fasm -std=c99 -pthread -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization
>>> -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls
>>> -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -funit-at-a-time -Wwrite-strings
>>> -Wtype-limits -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros -w -D_REENTRANT -DPIC
>>> -fPIC -DMMX -Di386 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>>> -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
>>> -I/usr/lib/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I.. -I../.. -I. -o utils.o
>>> utils.c
>>> utils.c: In function 'av_remove_stream':
>>> utils.c:2606: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>>>

>> internal compiler errors are usually a hint of broken hardware, i.e. bad
>> ram or overheated cpu.
>
> Right.  I would agree, but in this case I have been using this exact
> hardware for quite a number of months.

The smoking gun on broken hardware is if the internal compiler error
moves around to other source files.

That line in utils.c is pretty simple. I don't see much of a problem with it.

> My only change from working make's on same svn version is a
> move from Fedora 9 to Fedora 10.  So I am trying to figure out if it
> is a missing library or a bad compiler?  I would love to get this fixed
> if you have any more ideas on what I can try.  A move back to F9
> could be tricky.

Since MythTV has almost a complete set of libraries, you could try installing
a different compiler. A 4.2 vintage is probably fine.

I have Kubuntu 8.10 installed with roughly the same version compiler that
ships with Fedora 10. Although it flags all sorts of new warnings, it does
compile up just fine.

There was a semi-recent thread on this list about compiler errors. You might
want to look it over and see if it provides any insight.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/