[mythtv] How to join the mythTV team?

Jay Modi jaymode at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 20:09:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM, John J.H. van Timmeren <
vantimmeren at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to join you guys in developing mythTV by programming and
> improving the manual. I'm a experienced programmer in Java and C# on windows
> platforms. My C/C++ skills are a little outdated, but a little reading will
> fix that. What would be the best way to get started coding, testing and
> running mythtv? Are there instructions about this?

There are not really any instructions that I know of. Best bet is to
checkout the source make and then install it. Installing it yourself will
help with manual improvements. Once you have it setup, then I would maybe
start looking through some bugs and seeing if you can reproduce and then
start debugging and hacking away.

> About the manual: I think its important to have a good manual and
> documentation to get a larger end-user and developer-base, the more people
> use MythTV and help maintain the code and skins the longer the project will
> grow and stay alive.

Agreed. There is a manual here:
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

Although, the last time I used it, it seemed like it could use a refresh.

> I believe the wiki based MythTV-manual is the way to go to get maximum help
> from users(although this always seems a little disappointing). Is there
> someone in particular responsible for the quality of the wiki-manual? If not
> can I volunteer for that task?

This thread might be of use to you:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/346194

No one in particular responsible; it is left up to the community.