[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r18037 by stuartm

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 21:01:22 UTC 2008

On Sunday 03 August 2008 21:26:37 mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
> Seems 90 wasn't high enough for the QT jpeg encoder, I was using Gimp and
> other applications as a guideline where 90 would give crystal sharp images
> at around 50Kb for a standard photo. QT produces 29Kb images and lots of
> artifacts at that same level. Pulling a figure out of the air and trying 96
> instead.

Ok, it looks like the JPEG quality is not to blame, something else is going on
here and I can't see what it is. Even switching to png the quality is
rubbish.

Compare the image below - left is scaled/encoded by Gimp and the right is the
thumbGenerator in QT:

http://miffteevee.co.uk/imagebin/gimp_vs_qt.png

Now we know QT is capable of better, it scales the theme images just fine so
it's something to do with the thumbgenerator. Can anyone spot the bug?
--
Stuart Morgan