[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r17160 - in trunk/mythtv/libs by danielk

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 29 00:32:03 UTC 2008

On 04/28/2008 03:00 PM, mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>       Author: danielk
>         Date: 2008-04-28 19:00:13 +0000 (Mon, 28 Apr 2008)
> New Revision: 17160
>    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/17160
>
> Modified:
>
>    trunk/mythtv/libs/libmyth/dbutil.cpp
>    trunk/mythtv/libs/libmyth/dbutil.h
>    trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/datadirect.cpp
>    trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/dbcheck.cpp
>
> Log:
>
> Refs #5267. Fixes two chicken and egg problems with DB initialization
> The second is not to do the database backup on an empty database, since it will fail to find settings and housekeeping tables.

Daniel,

I had a couple of questions about the changes in here.  The first one
was regarding your change to DBUtil::GetTables() to remove the check for
whether SHOW FULL TABLES is supported.  Are we going to also modify the
minimum MySQL version to 5.0.2 (or, a more appropriate later
version--like the first stable release of MySQL 5; I think Cardoe told
me that was 5.0.15)?  I'll do a patch, but I was just wondering if it
would be desired (and what minimum MySQL version seems most appropriate).

Also, your change to not do the backup on an "empty" database (where
dbver != "0") sounds good as long as dbVer doesn't get set to 0 if the
settings table is missing or the DBSchemaVer setting, itself, happens to
be gone from the DB (for the same reason Chris Pinkham reverted his
change at http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15933 , i.e.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/315935#315935 ).

And, finally, this adds a check for dbver != "0" before calling
PromptForSchemaUpgrade(), but PromptForSchemaUpgrade() is also doing a
check at libs/libmyth/mythcontext.cpp +3529 (
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/libs/libmyth/mythcontext.cpp#L3529
).  Since the "old" check--an isEmpty() check--is failing and (I'm
assuming) yours is working, it seems that someone (I don't see where) is
setting dbver to 0 before the call to PromptForSchemaUpgrade() (perhaps
this changed since Nigel(?) first wrote it).  Does it make sense to
remove the new check and fix the one in PromptForSchemaUpgrade()?

Thanks,
Mike