[mythtv] plextor convertx, myth 0.21

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Apr 25 16:25:07 UTC 2008

* On Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 09:21:14PM -0500, andy wrote:
> One of the items on the release notes is:
>      Added the ability to capture MPEG-2 video from the go7007 driver

This is MPEG-2 video, it is still in a NuppelVideo container, so you
can't output it to your PVR-350 without transcoding it using an external
application and putting it in a mpeg-ps container that the PVR-350 can
play.

> In mythtv 0.21, I cannot get it to work.  I cannot find anyplace to set
> it to mpeg2, so I am assuming that's my problem.

I can't remember if I added that setting before or after 0.21, but I
think it was before.  It still is only MPEG-2 video, not a mpeg-ps or
mpeg-ts container which is what you're thinking of it sounds like.

Allowing people to put MPEG-2 video in a .nuv container was an easy
change.  Allowing Myth's 'software' encoder to spit out anything other
than .nuv is a much much larger patch I'm working on.  Eventually you'll
be able to record straight to mpeg-ps from your ConvertX, but it's slow
going right now with real life getting in the way of my MythTV coding.

> In mythtv-setup, I added the device (listed as MPEG-4 plextor convertx).
> In mythfrontend I go into the recording profiles and select that device.
>    There is a combo for selecting the encoding but I cannot change it
> from MPEG-4.

This setting was not uncommented prior to 0.21 according to my svn-fixes
checkout.  If you want to try it, you can edit
libs/libmythtv/recordingprofile.cpp and goto line 863 and uncomment the
following:

	codecName->addSelection("MPEG-2");

> (I really need it in mpeg-2 because I have a low powered pc and I use a
> PVR-350 for tv-out.  And it only support mpeg-2.)

You'll still need to transcode/remux from .nuv to .mpg even if you use
this setting, but it's much quicker and easier to remux than it is to
reencode the video.  That's one of the reasons I added this since a few
people wanted it and it was simple to allow.

--
Chris