[mythtv] configure --enable-proc-opt

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Sep 26 23:31:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 01:05 +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --enable-proc-opt is currently not very useful. It trigeers in trunk
> only the printing of two warning. It does not much more in 0_20_fixes.
>
> I'm not sure if I should remove the option or if the automatic setting
> of ARCHFLAGS should depend on it.

Janne, after your ffmpeg merge a few weeks back you broke
--disable-proc-opt, which was the default. I don't think
this is a big deal as the optimized values are conservative
anyway. If someone needs a generic binary they can use the
--cpu, --tune, and --arch options, which is what all the
distros use anyway. Also gcc has had support for these CPU
types for a few years now, so very few people would need
to add --cpu and --tune to ./configure in order to compile.

In 0.20-fixes, --disable-proc-opt it is still doing what was
intended. We always compile for a Pentium Pro CPU on any x86_32
processor, so that gcc can't be blamed for segfaults. With the
exception of mmx which we check for. I think changing this in
0.20-fixes would be a mistake.

-- Daniel