[mythtv] Help with unknown codec

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Sep 21 01:51:42 UTC 2007

With the latest SVN update, I am no longer able to play avi files with
the internal player through mythvideo. I'm not sure why, or what
changed, but pretty much all I see in the log is this:

AFD: InitVideoCodec() 0x91a5880 id(Unknown Codec ID) type (Video).

When the file is opened initially, and then thousands of these:

AFD: No codec for stream index 0, type(Video) id(Unknown Codec ID:14)

Now, I've poked around in libavformat and libavcodec, but I can't see
where codec ID's are matched with a type. If I look at one of the avi's
with mplayer I get:

AVI file format detected.
VIDEO:  [DX50]  512x328  24bpp  25.000 fps  744.7 kbps (90.9 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2366/release)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

another one that doesn't work is like this:

AVI file format detected.
VIDEO:  [FMP4]  624x352  24bpp  30.000 fps  1183.6 kbps (144.5 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 Software: Lavf51.10.0
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

So it seems that it's an issue with MPEG4, but I see MPEG4 listed in
libavcodec, so I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Should I be
filing a bug with ffmpeg, or in trac?

Thanks
Tom