[mythtv] Backend AutoDiscovery

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 03:10:34 UTC 2007

On 14/09/2007, Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au> wrote:

> Now that David has bravely checked in the AutoDiscovery code,
> we can start refining the initial version. Random suggestions,
> in no particular order:

There was an issue raised on IRC that a user was experiencing:

It appeared that their system was launching mythbackend and
mythfrontend at almost the same time. It seems it took mythbackend
longer to become discoverable than it took mythfrontend to attempt
discovery. The workaround is to add a sleep (on combined be/fe) before
starting the frontend.

Upon testing it seems that if the backend is unavailable when
discovery occurs you get the dialog to "Select default backend
server:", however the list now contains the previously selected
default backend as discovery occurs even when the dialog is displayed.

It occurs to me there are a couple of things that could be tweaked
here (especially considering there is no remote controls at the
moment):

1/
Maybe the discovery could be attempted for 10secs or something before
posting the dialog asking for selection. Might need a "Attempting to
find backend, please wait..." message.

2/
If a default backend is configured and not available at startup, then
subsequently becomes available, maybe it should be auto selected and
the frontend could continue to start as normal.

A separate issue, is it possible to set the default pin to 0000 with a
db schema upgrade? As I understand it this would be a continuation of
the old security model, allow all to connect.

Cheers,

Roo.