[mythtv] Default duplicate check method

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sat Sep 15 21:00:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:04:50 +0100, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> At least here in the UK with any of the available guide data sources,
> "Subtitle then Description" would produce much better results than
> "Subtitle & Description". I don't assume that the default should change
> just because it would make things easier for those of us in the UK, so
> I'd like to discuss what this change would mean for most MythTV users.
>
> The behaviour of "Subtitle then Description" seems to better fit with
> the normal usage of the subtitle field (unique episode naming). Does
> anyone see the subtitles in their guide data being re-used for different
> episodes? I'm not saying that it doesn't happen at all, but does it
> happen for more than a handful of series?

Yes, I've seen this happen in the UK. I used subtitle then description
for everything as soon as it was available (I applied the patch before it
hit svn).

Within a few weeks I had had two cases where subtitles were duplicated
when they shouldn't and recordings (the wife's unfortunately) were
missed. Now I'm more careful to select subtitle then description only
where needed.

I don't think it should be default, better a duplicate that takes 2
seconds to delete than lose something you really wanted.

Cheers,

Martin.