[mythtv] Backend AutoDiscovery

David mythtv at theblains.net
Fri Sep 14 12:17:57 UTC 2007

> 3) Remove duplicates from the chooser. One machine gave me:
> Select Default Myth Backend Server:
>   Do Not Connect To MythBackend
>   viking: MythTV AV Media Server
>   viking: MythTV AV Media Server
>   MythTV AV Media Server on mythtv

Not sure why you are seeing duplicates.  It uses a GUID to id each server
which should make it not display the same machine more than once (unless you
have two machines on your network with the same hostname, or you are somehow
running mythbackend twice on the same machine).

> 4) Add IP address (or something) for generic machine names?
> (e.g. MythTV ... on mythtv)

You can change the name displayed by adding the following setting, per host,
to the database:

	"UPnP/FriendlyName"

One of these days, I (or someone else) will need to add the appropriate
settings pages to allow for easier changes to upnp settings.

> 7) Myth themed UI stuff.

Can't agree more!  The current screens are ugly!  But, I tried this...
chicken & egg problem.  The Themed UI controls/windows currently require
database access for settings and key bindings to work, but the autodiscovery
code is used to find which database to use!

I was thinking of moving the dependent UI/Theme settings into config.xml and
make the settings local to each frontend, but was met with some resistance.
This would make the frontends run, with limited functionality, without
having a direct connection to the database (there would need to be code to
sync settings between frontends to make it useful for installs with more
than one frontend).

I glad to see people are interested in this feature.

David.