[mythtv] How are deinterlacers approved?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:20:22 UTC 2007

On 9/8/07, Michael Haas <laga+mythtv at laga.ath.cx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I was looking through the code to find out why I was getting
>
> > Failed to approve 'opengldoubleratefieldorder' deinterlacer
>
> messages, but I couldn't find the reason. Let me add a quick
> clarification first: I'm running trunk with r14455 backported from
> mythtv-vid, that's why I have Mark Kendalls new deinterlacer.

There are potentially a couple of issues here and log output from
mythtv -v playback would help.

Firstly, there is a small non-fatal bug/feature in the code at the
moment whereby the opengl deinterlacers do not get approved first time
around. If you're not running -v playback logging, you'll only see the
message above without confirmation that they are working later. I've
not looked at the root cause yet.

Secondly, it may fail because of your refresh rate but if, for
example, bob is working for you, then you shouldn't have a problem.
Again a log will confirm this either way.

Thirdly, that deinterlacer is designed to display interlaced material
on an interlaced display while maintaining sync with that display. On
a progressive display, it will look like it isn't deinterlacing at all
or deinterlacing artifacts may be less pronounced.

Regards

Mark