[mythtv] Parental Controls and MythVideo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 7 07:26:51 UTC 2007

On 09/07/2007 01:21 AM, Doug Young wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Multi-user would be -great-...and sounds like I'd have to wrap my brain
>> around a -much- larger part of the codebase to do it right.  Eventually,
>> yes, I could easily see myself going that far, as donating code back to a
>> project I've used would be great.  I'd like to start off a -tad- less
>> ambitious, as I've learned that biting off more than you can chew is a good
>> way to sour yourself on a project and then have a large amount of incomplete
>> code lying around that you never get back to.
>>
>> However, I will take a look to see what's been asked about, proposed,
>> etc...see if I can make this something that might be compatible with a
>> possible, eventual larger implementation.
> I found the following threads...are there more out there (I searched for
> "multi user")?
> Multi-user option:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/21747?search_string=multi%20user;#21747
> multi-user subsystem:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/207245?search_string=multi%20user;#207245

That's the one from the SoC project.

There's a branch for the code (though I don't know what, if any, is
salvageable) at http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/multiuser .

The official/approved project write-up from SoC is at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/SoC2006#Make_Myth_Multi-user , and
Daniel K. is probably the best source of info on what already exists and
how much is left to do (though I would guess that the answer to the
second question is "most of it").

> Multi-User MythWeb:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/69237?search_string=multi%20user;#69237
>
> Everyone seems to have a differing opinion as to what should be "secured"
> how...and I'm not sure I disagree with Chris' comment on the last one about
> the possibility of this being beyond the scope of a PVR type
> appliance...hmm...gonna sleep on it ;-)

I think getting the multi-user frontend in place would be a good start
(with as much multi-user support in the backend as required).  From
there, it can be extended to provide more backend and MythWeb support.

Mike