[mythtv] eBook reader plugin

Ron Burkey rburkey2005 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 6 13:04:47 UTC 2007

Thanks, Daniel.  This gave me a much-needed early-morning laugh.
(GutenMark is my own program, and sandroid.org is my own website.)

It did occur to me after sending my first post that mythbrowser, or some
other existing browser or ebook reader (such as plucker) could be
adapted.  For some reason, I can't get mythbrowser to work on my
MythDora 4.0 system --- or at least, I couldn't get it to work when I
tried it last night.  I probably need to get it working properly so that
I can evaluate it properly.

It seems to me there are really several things that would need to be
accomplished:

1.  Managing the eBooks, for easy download from Project Gutenberg or
other sources.  For example, some kind of menu system (perhaps like the
one on mythmusic) for maneuvering through the available texts, both
those which are locally cached, and those which can be downloaded.

2.  Conversion of plain-ASCII (pdf? MS-Word? ODF?) texts to a more
workable format, possibly HTML.

3.  Viewing.

The kind of features I think are useful in the viewer (off the top of my
head) are:

a) Font/size changes.

b) Bookmarking specific locations in texts.

c) "Random read".  I.e., jump to a random spot in a random text.

-- Ron