[mythtv] Building mythtv on iPhone?

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 08:58:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 07:10:43 Paul Catchpole wrote:

> Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong to end up with the following, which is
> a debug build of 147xx on AMD x86 Gentoo:
> PID %MEM  VIRT SWAP  RES CODE DATA  SHR nFLT nDRT S  PR  NI %CPU COMMAND
> 6201   35.3    367m   189m 177m 1420     262m   45m    6    0        S
> 15   0      22.3 mythfrontend

There are two major factors which affect how much memory Mythfrontend uses -
the theme and the resolution, the two are connected.

The more images and the larger the images in a theme, the more memory they
take up. So Blootube-Wide with it's very big watermarks can use a couple
hundred megs more than Iulius which has no images at all. Note that the size
in memory is different to the size on disk, since the images on disk are
compressed (PNG).

As you increase the resolution, the theme images have to be scaled to work on
screen. So the size in memory increases.

After the changes for mythui are complete it may be possible to save a little
more memory, because the existing image sharing code could be moved to cover
all images, not just the menu ones. In particular we duplicate images in
memory when plugins and for some reason that memory isn't freed when you've
leave the plugins.
--
Stuart Morgan