[mythtv] Avermedia M150-D

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 09:14:08 UTC 2007

I see.  Well, I've been wracking my brain about how to
use a mythtv svn trunk in gentoo, while having my
portage recognize its existence.  Until then, here's
what I've done.  I adapted the patch you (Jay) wrote
for the source of the mythtv version I'm using.  Then
I re-emerged the program.  I also got the latest
v4l-blackbird repository and installed that.

When I tuned to the M150, I finally got a picture.  It
wasn't spectacular, it was grainy, and I was losing
fps somehow.  After a bit of brainstorming, I modified
the LiveTV recording profile for the card to record at
720x480 and changing the aspect resolution to 16/9.  I
tried adjusting the volume level on the next page but
that didn't have any effect on watching the live tv.
I was kind of hoping it did, because the channels from
that card are coming in pretty loud.  Anyway, changing
to 720x480 at 16/9 gave me a good, smooth playback.
Picture is still grainy, but I don't know if that's
the card or some signal degradation somewhere else.

What's bothering me more than the graininess is the
lack of closed captions.  I enabled them, but I can't
see it on the screen.  Does anyone have any advice for
me on this point?  I'm completely at a loss here.  As
far as I know, the /dev/vbi1 device only works for the
raw stream output.

Anyway, thank you Jay for the patch and advice.
Things  are looking up for my setup.

Sam