[mythtv] ffmpeg sync

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Sat Oct 20 15:08:40 UTC 2007

John wrote:
> <snip>
>
> On a e4300 (1.8GHz core2duo) I could watch BBC-HD with glitches every
> second, even though the resource meter suggested I was using only 80% CPU.
>
> Overclocked the e4300 to 2.4GHz, and I was getting 75-80%  cpu, evenly
> across both cores, and smooth playback. Excellent, so at least on the
> samples I tried, the slice based multi threading (whatever that means
> :-) ) was working perfectly for BBC-HD.
>
> <snip>

I have updated Janne's -skiploop patch, just so it applies to SVN
(14698). This makes a real difference to CPU usage. The patch disables
deblocking, and unloads the CPU.

For performance comparison:
Watching smooth BBC-HD.
    Without patch         2.4GHz core2duo running at 80% on both cores.
    With Patch             1.8GHz core2duo running at 65% on both cores.

You need all of the previous patches :

ffmpeg_sync_10712_14666_0.diff
0001-enable-multithreaded-video-stream-decoding.patch
fix_pts_handling.diff

plus this little update (originally provided by Janne).

ffmpeg_skiploop_14698.diff

Deblocking is ENABLED by default. to disable you need to add an entry in
the myth database.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254646#254646

"To activate it you have run following sql statement. $YOUR_HOST is the
hostname of the frontend host.

INSERT INTO settings (value, data, hostname) VALUES ("AVSkipLoopFilter",
1, $YOUR_HOST);

Janne"

John