[mythtv] MythVideo unberably slow in high resolution, 100% cpu usage by X11.

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 12:12:20 UTC 2007

On 20/10/2007, Mikael Leiviskä <lereg at zero-kelvin.org> wrote:

> >> 1) Wrong mailing list. mythtv-users is more approriate.
> I believe this is a bug in MythTV that's why I post on the dev list. Why
> on earth does myth take 100% cpu and still take around 2 seconds to
> reach the next entry in any media list while using the opengl painter
> sounds like an obvious bug or nasty design miss to me.

Hi Mikael,

It sounds like you're having the same problem we discussed over on the Users
group a little while ago

Re-reading that thread and your posts it seems as though this problem occurs
either with the nv driver or the legacy nvidia driver. Certainly when I
switch to the (non-legacy) nvidia driver I get a very responsive UI,
unfortunately I also get a video-tearing problem which I've not been able to
fix.

I did compile Mythtv with profiling support and tried to find out where the
problem was. It seemed to be spending most of its time inside certain QT
routines. I'm not really a programmer and I didn't fancy building a profiled
QT so I left it there.

I'm only using 1280x768 and it's slow but useable and not using 100% cpu, so
I'm living with it.

--
Paul Mason