[mythtv] Who is currently working the firewire code for the Motorola 6100 series STB boxes?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 21:38:03 UTC 2007

On 10/17/07, Fred McClain <fmcclain_spm at boojummobile.com> wrote:
> Kelly Campbell wrote:
> > Encrypted 5C channels is one problem, but it's a pain to even get the
> > non-encrypted channels to work consistently. I'm not sure this is
> > actually a problem with the motorola's or if it's a linux driver/libs
> > issue. I've never tried capturing on MacOS or windows.
> >
> > I've been able to get my firewire working mostly consistently by
> > building from svn for myth, libraw1394, libiec61883, and libavc1394.
> > They recently made a new release of libraw1394 which included a
> > segfault bugfix.
> >
> > For me this is what I've found is required to get a stable connection:
> >
> > 1. The motorola box has to be powered off (power cable unplugged,
> > firewire is still live even if the) and then plugged back in with the
> > linux system online and firewire connected.
> >
> > 2. I have to run firewire_tester -B -n <node> until it's stable.
> >
> > 3. configure mythtv to connect in broadcast mode.
> >
> > Once in a while it will lose stability for some reason, and just
> > running firewire_tester -B -n once or twice will usually fix it. If
> > not I have to reset the stb power.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > -Kelly

> >> all they have to do is turn off 5C in the Motorola software. Normally
> >> this signal is sent by the cable company in the channel/show's digital
> >> stream to the cablebox and is passed through from the network but it
> >> can be intercepted/changed/ignored at any step along that process.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Steve
> >> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> >> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> >> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> >> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
> >
> if you're paying for the channels why would they be 5C encrypted on the
> firewire port?

Because they don't want you recording it digitally. Or to control the
manner in which you make a digital recording (with a DVHS deck for
instance).

If they could have prevented VHS/Beta from even working they would
have, but they couldn't, the technology didn't allow it. Digital cable
technology does allow it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!