[mythtv] MySQL database location

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 18 16:29:24 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/17/2007 05:23 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>> I have my partition layout as so:
>>
>> [myth at mythtv ~]$ df -h
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sdb1             6.7G  5.8G  538M  92% /
>> tmpfs                 506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm
>> /dev/sdb3             444G  399G   23G  95% /video
>> /dev/sda1             111G   92G   14G  88% /video2
>>
>> I am using storage groups for my recordings and they are in /video and
>> /video2.
>>
>> Over the months of building this box i have noticed my / free space
>> shrinking.  I am thinking this is because of my database.  Where is
>> the DB actually stored on FC6?
>>
>> Also,  is there any way to show where the large files are?  Should i
>> be concerded about 90% full / partition?  I have always gone by the
>> rule of thumb of above 80% you start loosing performance.
>
> The database is /very/ unlikely to be filling up your partition.  The
> largest my database has ever gotten was around 400MB and that was with
> almost 500 hours (= almost 21 days) of MPEG-2 recordings (almost all of
> the space taken up by the DB for Myth will be dedicated to the
> seektable--which grows linearly with amount (time) of recorded TV
> available to watch, and will be decreased as shows are deleted).  The
> rest tends to stay relatively constant in size.
>
> My DB is currently 133MB with 232 hours and 40 minutes (9 2/3 days) of
> recorded TV.
>
> I would bet--if it's not data--that it's your log files taking up the
> space--specifically, MySQL binary log files.

Or your mythbackend and mythfrontend log files.

All the log files are in /var/log in Fedora and likely there in other
distros.
The mysql databasee is in /var/lib/mysql in Fedora but elsewhere under /
in other distros. So even if you do not use the machine for other
things, a mythbox will use more disk space, unless you take steps to
stop it.

I cannot recall if there is anything on the wiki, but under Fedora you
can tune logrotate to keep or NOT keep log files, and also set the log
file size, This is handled by a cron. If you set these up, then the
usual log files will not grow too large. You can add the myth log files
to logrotate as well. That would only leave the mythconverg database to
grow or shrink as your recorded programs grow or shrink.

Hmmmm, another wiki stub to be filled in ....

Geoff