[mythtv] System Flash drive and mythgallery

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 18:01:25 UTC 2007

Moving the tread to mythtv-users

Sam Logen wrote:
> Hi, thanks for returning my email.  I'm glad to know
> it can be done.  Please excuse my ignorance, though,
> but could you point me to the scripts I'll need to
> change for this to work?  I'm new to the dbus system.

It will depend on the Linux distribution that you are using. If the
distribution puts the udev files in udev's default location, then they
udev rules will be in /etc/udev/rules.d and the binaries and scripts
called by the udev rules will be in /lib/udev. In addition, scripts
called by udev are sometimes put in /etc/udev/scripts.

If the udev rules file name has not been changed from the original
MythTV contribution, then it will be called mythtv.rules. Looking
inside, you can see what script file is called. However, if the name of
the script has not been changed from the original MythTV contribution,
then it will be called mythtv_udev_monitor.sh.

Inside mythtv_udev_monitor.sh, you will see a conditional that sends the
appropriate information to the FIFO. You could wrap another conditional
around this that tests the DEVNAME and does not continue when the
DEVNAME is the device that you want to exclude.

Having said that, basing things on the device name can be problematic.
There is no absolute assurance that a device will always have the same
name unless something special is done in the udev rules to ensure it. As
a result, you are better off using labels, GUIDs or something else
unique to identify the device. In MiniMyth, if the partition has the
label minimyth, then I exclude it.