[mythtv] thoughts about the "mythtv sucks" comments... " was "video sources"

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Fri Nov 30 11:07:34 UTC 2007

hendrixski wrote:
> Stuart Morgan wrote:

>>> If the problem is that there are not enough core developers in Mythtv,
>>> then what is being done to recruit and train new ones?
>>>
>> Anyone can become a contributor (or developer without
>> commit access). Just starting writing bug fixes or new features.
>>

> :-) Yup, and I'm working on such a contribution with someone else right
> now.  If I may politely re-pose my question, I was asking more about the
> amount of _outreach_ for finding new developers and contributors, and
> for fostering talent.
>
> Would an outreach program like training events for newbies, or
> structured seminars for existing contributors, and a mentoring program
> to turn contributors into core devs, solve the problem of "too many good
> ideas not enough implementors"?  Is there already something like that?
>
> The point is... I would benefit if there were a structured class or
> group-tutorial session on how to make better mythtv contributions, and
> I'd like to know if such educational options exist.  Because
> Google/lists/IRC only gets you so far.

Interesting idea. One of the reasons that i've seen a few people give up
on good ideas is that when it's pointed out what their brilliant idea
entails they lose interest because it becomes too hard.

I guess the multirec branch is a good illustration of this. The idea is
simple. Record multiple things off the same multiplex. Relatively simple
from a pure DVB point of view, but making it all work inside the myth
framework is a complex and ongoing project.

There's a reason we often say to people, okay why don't you start here
and then work towards what you want to achieve, it's because once you
starting digging, you realize just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Things like DVB are a good example of this. You have the specifications
which if the world was a good and sensible place, everyone would adhere
to. In reality it turns out that a lot of implementers have glanced at
the standards and implemented them the way they felt like.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that in quite a few areas of myth you
end up needing a lot of background knowledge. Would these sessions of
yours help with this? That I don't know....

Stuart A