[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 04:07:43 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 3:35 PM, Peter Schachte <schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:

> How about "Program Listing and Video Sources," since the screen does
> include
> both?  I found "Video Sources" a bit puzzling at first, since it sits
> right
> after tuner card configuration, and I think of my tuner cards as the
> sources
> of my video.

Tuner cards record video, they are not the source of the video. The source
is a TV station or something similar. So to me "Video Sources" seems like
the most accurate description. But unfortunately it seems to be a term that
a lot of people either have preconceived notions about, or at least
interpret incorrectly the first time they see it.

I don't like the idea of renaming "Video Sources" to "Listings Sources" or
"Guide Data Sources" or anything like that because they don't represent the
guide data and I don't think it would make a lot of sense to have to
associate "Guide Data Sources" with tuner card inputs in the Input
connections screen. Your suggestion of "Program Listing and Video Sources"
is not bad, if a little long. Someone suggested "Television Service
Providers" which is more accurate I think, but still possibly confusing
(since you'd have to set up a "Television Service Provider" to record the
output of a camera or VCR).

Since it's not at all clear that there is a better alternative to "Video
Sources", wouldn't a short explanation of what "Video Sources" are on the
screen (or in the docs) be a better way of avoiding any confusion?

Cheers,
Steve