[mythtv] myth-setup configuration via a web browser

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Nov 22 23:13:14 UTC 2007

> The problem with the config screens IMHO is that they are really too
> terse to understand, the paragraph of text describing each option is a
> great idea but somewhat limited.

Yes, there isn't a lot of space, so we have to be terse.

1) We could add a "Help" button to each setup screen,
but it is just something else that needs maintaining,
translating, et c.

2) In mythtv-setup, it is assumed that you use the defaults.
Anything that NEEDS to be changed should be caught when the
user exits mythtv-setup (e.g. no storage directory).
If there is something else that you think should be checked,
put in a defect ticket.

(Sadly, there are no similar sanity
  checks in the frontend's Setup pages)

> Even worse, when I needed more
> information I had to turn to google.  Google became an necessary part
> of the configuration process.

There are gaps, but the developers don't see them.
(we intuitively jump over them :-)
Tell us what was missing, and we will augment the
official documentation.

> Hmmmm .... looks like I am not the only one to consider this:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+spec/web-myth-setup

Actually, when I started playing with MythTV, I wanted
to write a command-line myth-setup program or mode
(because I was trying to install a backend non-GUI).
It already had numbers on the menu buttons,
so I thought that could be the start of a CLI menu.

In the end, it was just much faster to install X11.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|     "They did the
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | white man power dance,