[mythtv] Controlling the DCT2000 series STB

Worldnet onley at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 6 22:33:12 UTC 2007

> On 11/6/07, Worldnet <onley[at]worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> I am trying to create a setup where I can control multiple STBs and
>> navigate the Comcast OnDemand menus. I have the channel changing scripts
>> working using the serial ports but I can't find any way to send anything
>> other than the channel info to the STB. I need to send left, right, up,
>> down and select to the STB but since there are 4 STBs this info will
>> haveto be sent through the backend to get to the right box.
>> Mythtv breaks out the tuning info and sends it to the external tuner
>> script but I don't see any way to send other info to the external tuner
>> script. Is there a hook that I don't know about or is this something
>> thatcould be implemented?

> I don't think mythtv will do this for you but I can imagine you couldset
> this up with lirc and an external script. Something like:
> 1) Map your STB commands to an unused remote button2) Point LIRC to a
> script to execute when these are pushed3) Do a query to find which STB
> is displaying LiveTV4) Send the right/left/up/down/select command to the
> STB
> That assumes you know how to send these commands to the STB. Thechannel
> change script probably only knows how to send numbers.
> I imagine LiveTV recordings are not really "live" so it would probably
> take awhile after you press the button before you see it on thescreen.
> That would be odd but maybe usable.
> I use the OnDemand occasionally to record a missed show and it isreally
> crazy trying to start a show upstairs on the cable box withoutseeing it
> on the screen... :)

Actually the various scripts such as the serial cable code for the
DCT2000 boxes already support all the functions of the remote. Look
at the remote.h in the source directory and you can see what is
supported. With IRblaster all you need to do is include the buttons
you need in the .conf file

This would work well but my question is number 3. I can alter the scripts
to send the commands but how do you query the backend to see which tuner
you are watching?

If you can help me with #3 I would be more than happy to send my notes
as they might apply to your situation.