[mythtv] detecting activity - not signal. > cablebox_on.sh

Peter Hartmann ascensiontech at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 20:59:50 UTC 2007

> > Have you had a look for discrete "on" IR codes for your cable box? You
> > could just fire one of these on every channel change to ensure the
> > cable box is on?
My cable box doesn't have a discreet 'on' code. I don't get the
feeling that they work this way in general but I only have so can't
say for sure.   But I do have script almost done that does the job.
It's modified from a motion detection script i found.  The only
problem is that it only works if Myth is recording.  Is there a way to
call a script when you start recording a program within Mythtv?  If
not I'll have to figure out how to cat /dev/video0 > testsample.mpg
for 5 seconds in bash.  I'm not sure how to do that.   I can't wait to
gloat a little bit to my sister  whose Tivo box doesn't have this
functionality.  ;)

Thanks,
Peter