[mythtv] Internal DVD player incorrectly detects video scan (interlacing)

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Wed May 30 07:23:34 UTC 2007

Hi there,

Below is a discussion from the users list that didn't produce any
answers.  I'd be interested on working on a patch to try to fix the
issue, but I need some guidance/ideas on where to start.

In summary, the issue is that the video scan detection for some DVDs
(but not all DVD) seems to incorrectly choose progressive scan, which
results in an awful jerky looking video (almost like it's skipping every
second frame).  If I override the video scan setting it to "interlaced"
to output is perfect.  The detailed explanation and some -v playback
logs are described below.

 From the logs it seems that it starts off in interlaced mode
correctly.  But as some point it thinks it sees a progressive frame so
switches off the interlacing.

I'm using a very recent trunk build.  I have bob deinterlacing and
OpenGL vsync enabled, and an Nvidia 6150 graphics card.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, or where I should start to fix
this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt