[mythtv] mythvideo ffw/rwd not smooth and sound disable

Martin Long mythtv at longhome.co.uk
Sun May 27 11:04:23 UTC 2007

I don't quite know what your perception of 'jumping' or 'not smooth' is, but
typically ffwd or rew of any mpg (or any compressed) stream will appear to
jump - this is because the CPU would be incapable of decoding the mpg stream
fast enough to show every frame, (it would have to at least process every
frame, even if it only shows every other, third, forth etc, as the
contruction of many frames relies on the last, or next frame being
complete). So, in order to allow fast forwarding, and provide a decent
visual queue, only keyframes (those which are stored as complete frames) are
decoded. This makes the experience seem jumpy, but it is unavoidable. How
jumpy it is depends on the keyframe ratio of the content (which would
typically depend on the encoding rate, DVDs would have a higher keyframe
rate than DVB broadcasts for example) Unless you are having other
performance issues which are having an even more detrimental effect on ffwd
/ rew, then I doubt disabling the sound would effect this. Decoding small
chunks of sound is relatively inexpensive wrt CPU time, and playing is
virtually free (you load up the buffer, and the hardware takes care of the
playback).

  _____