[mythtv] Best way to use SVN version for deployment?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 25 20:09:42 UTC 2007

On 05/25/2007 03:29 PM, Robert Tsai wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 11:57:37AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> When it comes time to update again, "rm -rf *" in your src directory,
>> then untar the old tarball and re-run the update commands above.  On
>> other machines, "rm -rf *" in your src directory and untar the new
>> tarball.  This ensures you always have a pristine copy of the Myth trunk.
>>
> Instead of always redoing a complete "svn co", why not checkout/update
> stuff in a pristine area, and "rm -fr; cp -r" that pristine area to a
> new working-directory area? That still gets you your pristine build
> area without wasting bandwidth/time with a complete checkout
> everytime.

I did a complete checkout once 3 years ago (may have also done one when
we switched to Subversion--I don't remember, now).  I've always had a
pristine copy--my tarball of the previous update.

When I said, "re-run the update commands above," I meant exactly
that--the /update/ commands.  Not the checkout commands.

Also, I don't trust cp for recursive copies of source directories.
cpio, yes.  tar, yes.  cp, no.

Mike