[mythtv] What about running mvpmc.org on an apple tv?

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri May 25 14:41:09 UTC 2007

Hi...

Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> On 5/15/07, Neil Raymond <neil_raymond at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Todd
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I've actually got it working quite well now, the previous reply from James
>> Mulcahy pointed me in the right direction. I had a look at the fonts
>> installed on the AppleTV and compared them to those on my Macbook, and there
>> were a whole load more on the Macbook (unsurprisingly). I backed up the font
>> directories on the AppleTV and then copied all the fonts from my Macbook
>> over to the AppleTV. I repeated this for the 3 main font directories
>> (/System/Library/Fonts, /Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts). It probably
>> wasn't necessary to do all 3 locations, at some point I'll go back and work
>> out exactly what is and isn't needed.
>
> That's great news!     I'll definitely be picking one of these up.
>
> Have you looked at how much it stresses the AppleTV?  Things like the
> memory utilization/swapping when it's running.  Or, CPU load when
> playing SD MPEG2?

Neil, I changed the Subject line so as not to hijack your thread.  I
hope this works...

It would be great to finally have a small silent (..one disk drive,
that's practically silent) MythTV client.  I hope this works out!

However, if space or power is an issue - it occurs to me a compromise
might be to port the mvpmc.org project to an appleTV.  It's MythTV
feature is still in development - but it already knows about the mysql
data base and has a host of other client features.  It already has a way
of building a host executable rather then the target executable which
may give developers a quick way of creating a Mac OSX executable.  Just
a thought...