[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu May 24 02:28:40 UTC 2007

Maryau Jeune wrote:
> I placed a 4th design on http://mjeune.awardspace.com.  I toned it down
> a lot and did away with the human figure, as well as the metallic
> surfaces (except in the logo).  Also did away with the big fonts and
> added more text in the splash area.  I used the green and blue tones in
> the screen shot that appears in the monitor for the links, the logo, the
> buttons, the splash background image and the menu background color.
>
> Maryau

Hi Maryau,

I like the look of the new page quite a lot, though I think I'd prefer a blue
color scheme over the green one.  The top bar with the logo, and the main links
looks sharp and practical (though I'm not sure the "purchase" one is
appropriate), and I really like the search box in there.  Maybe make it a
google search with domain set to include mythtv.org and the wiki?  I'd also
like to see a "documentation" link there, that takes you to the wiki.

The second panel, with the nice graphics and myth intro is professional and
pleasant to look at.  I also think it would be good for the graphic to suggest
that Myth handles music and photos, as well as TV and video.  Could you put
some photos and CD cases in with the DVD and VHS tape?  Maybe a remote control
and a TV Guide, too?  The first two paragraphs of description look good, but
most prospective users probably won't realise they want to compress recordings
until they see how fast their HD fills up, and won't care about encodings and
formats and hardware encoders.  I think Myth's most effective selling points in
addition to live TV handling and the distributed architecture are:  the free
program guide; easy scheduling of recordings; support for any number of
simultaneous recordings; easy commercial skipping; and storing and playback of
digital music, video, and photo collections.

The bottom panel seems a bit redundant, though.  Perhaps that info could be
alternate content for the second panel on the "about" and "announcements"
pages?  Probably the other pages (downloads, screenshots, etc) should do
without the pretty graphics on the left side to leave more room for content.
So I'm suggesting the home, about and announcement pages just use the top two
panels, and the other pages use the top and third panels.

--
Peter Schachte              When you come to a fork in the road ... take it.
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU            -- Yogi Berra