[mythtv] gmyth livetv transcode support

Melunko melunko at gmail.com
Thu May 17 20:18:04 UTC 2007

Hello stuart,

We use gmyth-cat to read livetv content (or recorded programs) from backend
and forward to standard output. Them we "inject" this data to mencoder to be
transcoded to a suitable format and muxer. Afterward we stream the data via
http.

The piece of SW that join all together is the gmyth-stream written in
python. The advantages of this solution is that gmyth-stream can be launched
in any machine. It does not need to run on mythtv backend machine nor video
player machine. I will try to describe my setup:

*** Install svn version of mencoder
$ svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
$ cd mplayer
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

-> This is needed because in the svn version they fixed some problem to
write data to stdout. Older versions do not do that.

*** Install gmyth and gmyth-utils packages.
$ svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gmyth/trunk/gmyth gmyth
$ cd gmyth
$ ./autogen.sh
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us -b
$ sudo dpkg -i ../gmyth_0.3_i386.deb ../gmyth-utils_0.3_i386.dev

-> This should play livetv:
$ gmyth-cat --hostname=backend_ip --port=6543 --channel=13 | mplayer -cache
500 -

*** Check-out and run gmyth-stream
$ svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gmyth/trunk/gmyth-streamgmyth-stream
$ cd gmyth-stream/server/0.2
$ python gms.py

Now we can test if the gmyth-stream is working
$ mplayer "http://transcoder_ip:40000/stream.do?transcoder=mencoder&type=myth&uri=backend_ip:6543/livetv/?channel=13<http://127.0.0.1:40000/stream.do?transcoder=mencoder&type=myth&uri=192.168.3.110:6543/livetv/?channel=13>"
-nocache

change transcoder_ip, backend_ip and channel num (13 in the example)

- By default the transcoder sets are: output_width=320,output_height=240,
but you can pass different values in the URL.

So, please, let me know if it works. We have a big problem right now, when
mythtv backend changes the recording file after about 30minutes of playback,
it sends a BACKEND_MESSAGE. We are handling these messages, but it is not
working 100%, maybe one of you could help.

BR,
Melunko