[mythtv] ivtv 1.0.0 (part of 2.6.22) and required userland changes

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Tue May 15 07:15:36 UTC 2007

> On May 14, 2007, at 17:10, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ivtv will debut in the kernel with 2.6.22. This needs some changes in
>> userland as detailed here:
>>
>> http://ivtvdriver.org/trac/browser/ivtv/trunk/doc/conversion.txt
>

> A quick read through that suggests these changes are almost
> exclusively relevant for PVR-350 output, nothing that would affect
> video capture.

That is correct: all changes relate to the OSD and MPEG decoding of the
PVR350. What is important to realize is that the MPEG decoding API is no
longer specific to the ivtv driver (although right now that is the only
one that implements it), but that it is now an 'official' API.

The only ioctls that are currently ivtv specific are IVTV_IOC_DMA_FRAME
and IVTVFB_IOCTL_PREP_FRAME. There are no immediate plans to replace
these, although at some time in the future a better more standard way will
have to be found.

Note that the ivtv-fb module is not yet part of the kernel. This remains
out-of-tree for now (simply due to lack of time). I will probably make a
separate release for this module, certainly before 2.6.22 is officially
released.

Regards,

           Hans