[mythtv] RFC: Delete protection from within Myth

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Mon May 14 23:36:10 UTC 2007

On 15/05/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> And, I think that would apply as, perhaps, a better approach for Roo,
> too.  With the multi-user approach, rather than "can't delete" flag that
> anyone can change, files could be protected according to MythTV user
> permissions (thereby allowing a "root" or "admin" user to have final say
> over the matter)

I have thought about that as well as there are a couple of reasons I
proposed what I did.

- I have deleted recordings _I_ wanted to keep before, it is usually a
case of "muscle memory"; exit recording and by habit delete it.

- I didn't intend for the "Delete protect" to stop any one deleting it
if they really wanted to, just shift that operation out of the
"normal" dialogs (when lprotected) and requiring an "unprotect".

- I thought this might tie in well with the "recording groups" /
"storage groups".
I change the "storage group" of the shows I want to save (probably by
changing the recording group or maybe some other way) and they can get
moved to the "storage group" location, possibly a raid array, then set
the delete protect flag.
<I need to look into this>

- And most importantly, it is something I think I can code up. (I
think the multiuser SOC is beyond my skills at the moment)