[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

usleepless at gmail.com usleepless at gmail.com
Fri May 11 18:55:27 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, jedi at mishnet.org <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> >> open
> >> for
> >> the

> >> Thats understandable. I'm not really trying to suggest commercializing
> >> myth
> >> to the point of world domination. What i'm suggesting is simply making
> >> things a little easier for the noob whether they be a seasoned developer
> >> or
> >> not. When I was first introduced to myth I found it far more difficult
> >> get running perfectly than any app should be. Another good description
> >> i've
> >> heard of that i've even used myself is "impossible to set up, but once
> >> done,
> >> impossible to give up."
> >>
> >> Jean-Philippe
>
> Like any other well engineered Unix application, the defaults
> in Myth should represent the most generally useful (and used)
> configurations. This is a packaging issue more than anything
> else.
>
> The difficulty of some parts of MythTV and the supporting
> software & hardware can't be avoided because you are your own
> systems integrator. Some things are simply beyond the control
> of the myth guys in this respect.
>
> mysql is problematic in this respect. I just had to do manual
> crash recovery on my backend last night due to mysql not having
> proper defaults. This is something that would be seen by most
> people as a MythTV problem eventhough it really isn't.

you make it sound like mysql has been forced upon MythTV. this is
simply not true.

mysql was chosen to be used at the time, which is understandable
considering the alternatives back in the days.

not considering dbms-indepence now is a choice which is made in the
present times however.

so MythTV mandates a dbms that has problems. so it is a MythTV problem:
 - in the sense that it causes problems for end users
 - in the sense that MythTV has the power to choose a different dbms,
or support multiple dbms'es

regards,

usleep