[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13440 by danielk

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 11 13:48:36 UTC 2007

On 05/11/2007 04:34 AM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Refs #3326. Fixes channel equivalency based on discussion on dev mailing list.
>>
>> Instead of assuming that channels with the same callsign have the same programming we do two things.
>>  * If the channum and the callsign are the same and one channel is busy and not another we replace the busy one with the non-busy one in the guide, including showing the guide data for the new channel instead of the old.
>>

> I would say you have a hard-coded USA assumption here. In Europe at
> least the channum can be anything, and is often used by people to arange
> the order of channels to their liking. This is true whether you are
> talking analog TV or DVB.
>
> Also, how do you handle the following situation, where a channel can be
> received from 3 sources:
> - analog cable
> - digital cable
> - digital Satellite

Use the "any channel" recording rules.

> I have some channels like that.... And although i have manually ensured
> the callsigns are the same on all three, the EPG often are not, as the
> sources for them are different:
>
> - analog cable uses a grabber
> - digital cable uses EIT
> - satellite uses EIT.
>
> Which means the descriptions on the programs can be 3 times different,
> as the two EIT are coming from different sources (the SAT broadcaster is
> not the same as the CABLE broadcaster, and what they put into the EIT
> can be quit different. Even the titles can be diffeent (longer or shorter)).
>
> Just some thoughts.....

This actually relaxes the criteria by which a channel is determined to
be the same compared to previous versions of Myth, so if you haven't
seen a problem so far, you won't in the future.  And, besides, it
doesn't usually matter whether the channels are the same or not--you
should only use "channel" recording rules when appropriate (and in most
cases, they're not appropriate).

Those who use them "for efficiency" or whatever will actually find them
easier to use with the changes.  And, if your channel recording rules
don't match, create rules for other channels or just use a more
appropriate rule type.

Mike