[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13440 by danielk

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Fri May 11 10:48:10 UTC 2007

Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>
>>> Instead of assuming that channels with the same callsign have the same programming we do two things.
>>>  * If the channum and the callsign are the same and one channel is busy and not another we replace the busy one with the non-busy one in the guide, including showing the guide data for the new channel instead of the old.
>>>

>> I would say you have a hard-coded USA assumption here. In Europe at
>> least the channum can be anything, and is often used by people to arange
>> the order of channels to their liking. This is true whether you are
>> talking analog TV or DVB.
>>
>> Also, how do you handle the following situation, where a channel can be
>> received from 3 sources:
>> - analog cable
>> - digital cable
>> - digital Satellite
>>
>> I have some channels like that.... And although i have manually ensured
>> the callsigns are the same on all three, the EPG often are not, as the
>> sources for them are different:
>>
>> - analog cable uses a grabber
>> - digital cable uses EIT
>> - satellite uses EIT.
>>
>> Which means the descriptions on the programs can be 3 times different
>>

> I have a similar situation and I handle that by using one source of EPG
> information (the best available one, which in my case is XMLTV from web)
> for all three channels thus Daniel's new algorithm would work for me.
> Wouldn't it make sense for you to use the same EPG if the channels'
> content is really identical?
>
> Petr

If all three sources had the same channels on them....

Analog cable < digital cable
SAT contains some of the cable channels + a lot others.

web site is good in info, but does not cover all channels available on
digital cable. Digital cable has had several failures on EIT, seems to
be improving though, and generally is doing a pretty good job. SAT EIT
is going pretty good, except for the English channels, where i still
have only EIT-now/next. (I have Astra 1 and Astra 2)

At the moment i have the digital on EIT only. I can change to mixed, but
that results in several runs on the web-scraper, which is not friendly
to that website. It is possible though... Still, the channum's on those
are most certainly not the same!

My protest is the assumption that on all occurances of the same channel,
the channum will be the same. Having them different results for me in
the following nice behaviours:
- easy to select whether to watch from analog of digital (cable or sat)
- easy to program preference on what source to record from
- easy to see whether EPG data is available on all
- i can see them separate in mythweb. So far, for equal channum mythweb
will show only 1 entry. If they are truly the same, that is correct. I
like to be able to easily check from which source a program will be
recorded though....