[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri May 11 00:14:45 UTC 2007

Rob Smith wrote:
> Personally, I've heard Myth described as 'A PVR by developers for
> developers', and with that in mind, gaining users or a market share or
> the like isn't really the goal. The goal is more to get other people
> to play with the code and make it into something great, not become the
> most used app in the world or anything like that.

Aptly put.

After I had to come up with some sort of slogan for a poster
(http://forevermore.net/mythtv/mythtv_thanks.jpg), some of the core devs
talked briefly about this.  We didn't get very far other than deciding
that "DVR" was better than "PVR".

I've always gathered from Isaac that he thinks of MythTV as just a pet
project, and that he has no interest in market share, showing off at
trade shows, etc.  A nice catch phrase would be cool, though, and I
don't think anyone is against the idea.  It's just a matter of figuring
out what it should be, and not go so far as to turn this into a complete
rebranding of MythTV.

-Chris