[mythtv] Zoom -vs- Aspect -- need a custom setting

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri May 4 20:47:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 14:15 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/04/2007 01:33 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 12:50 -0400, David Frascone wrote:
> >
> >> I have more than one High Def tuner.  I have a HDHomerun, and I also get
> >> HD via Firewire off of my cable box.  The HD from HDHomerun becomes
> >> nicely fullscreen at a 4:3 zoom (or a fill)
> > <snip>
> >
> > It sounds like your xorg.conf is missconfigured.
> > Now that you know the basic problem, search the users mailing
> > list, this has been discussed there a few times.
>
> Daniel, David had mentioned making a change to allow custom aspect
> ratios and I recommended that before he code any changes he ask for
> input from you regarding your desire/plan to separate zoom from aspect
> ratio.

The plan is to separate these, but I think a custom zoom mode is
a different beast. It's more like being able to save your manual
zoom setup across sessions. But the problem David should be
trying to solve right now is to get the aspect ratio right, once
he has this working I can help him work on saving/restoring the
manual zoom state if he still wants it for the FireWire letter
boxing issue. But if he tries that with his aspect ratio out of
whack he will be trying to solve two problems at once with his
patch: the aspect ratio issue which is particular to his setup,
and the zoom issue which is an issue that effects everyone but
has a rough work around via the preset zoom modes.

> So, if you can give him a quick overview of the direction you'd like to
> go, he might be able to contribute some patches.
It's pretty much covered in the threads. :)

-- Daniel