[mythtv] Script contribution

Royce Souther osgnuru at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 19:44:21 UTC 2007

I can understand why someone may want their web server on a different system
from their MythTV box but that does not seem to be a reason for not
navigating your movie collection by the path they are in.

With the two scripts I wrote there would not be any need to mount file
system on the web server, the web page does not read the directories to find
a movie to display the information about. The script that reads IMDb numbers
from tag files and populates the database with that information. The
database could be on any system that it has access to including another
system acting as the web server. When the web page is viewed it gathers it's
data from the database.

I think I was not clear with my original message, the web page does not use
the directory layout to find content, it helps the user find content by
displaying it like the directories.

When I look at MythWeb, I see all my videos like a raw dump from the
database with no way to locate that file on my MythTV box and no way for me
to see other videos that are grouped with it in the same directory. I don't
find that helpful to how I would want to search my collection. I do like the
look and features of MythWeb it seems like a great tool for all the many
features of the MythTV system, it just need something better for finding
what movies I have and what directory they are in.

On 3/30/07, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Do you mean you created a replacement for the MythWeb videos section?
> > If so, Chris Petersen (xris on #mythtv-users and #mythtv) will likely be
> > very interested.  The reason MythWeb's video interface leaves so much to
>
> > be desired is because Chris wants a complete rewrite rather than spend
> > time fixing what's there.  (Just make sure your work is based on SVN
> > trunk and follow his coding standards and design philosophy.)
>
> Actually, that would be Kormoc (aka Rob Smith) working on that now.  I
> don't think he's on this list, but you can almost always find him on
> IRC.  He's made some really nice improvements to the mythweb video stuff
> recently.  On the other hand, it's distinctly missing a
> filesystem-layout browse mode, and he might appreciate some help if it's
> already been written.
>
> Royce, please be aware that the future of MythWeb's video (and music)
> plugins is moving away from the filesystem itself, to remove the need
> for people to mount their video directories/etc on their webserver, so
> any filesystem-browse mode would have to be based on the db layout
> rather than on the actual filesystem.
>
> -Chris

Tiem [teem] (n)
  The group of losers that follow you around at work and take credit for
your brilliant ideas.