[mythtv] Proposed workaround for scheduling problem with overlapped recording rules (bug #3242)

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Mar 30 16:56:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 03:42:56PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
> >This is already being looked at.  The most likely change is going to
> >be to prefer rules that want to record over ones that don't except for
> >kDontRecord.  It just hasn't been tested enough.
>
> s/enough/at all/ unless you took a stab at it. My first

I coded my own version and have been running it for a few days.  It's
really a rather trivial change so, not surprisingly, the change was
identical to what you posted.  I tried a few, very targeted tests, but
mainly what I've done so far is to look for anomalies in my normal
scheduling.

> In the real world, If the 13:30 showing recorded to completion,
> I don't think it needs to be recorded by another rule. This is
> a contrived test case and this scenerio shouldn't matter in any
> real situations (I don't think). A possible solution would be to
> reconsider which rule after MarkOtherShowings but that would be
> messy and probably unnecessary.

The fact the program gets re-recorded doesn't bother me at all.  The
same would happen if the the C rule didn't exist and the A rule
covered all matches.  In this case, the user might want to consider
matchning duplicates in currentl recordings only.

What does bother me, is the scheduler indicates the second showing
won't record until the first one ends, then suddenly, the second
showing will be recorded.  It reminds me of a max episodes case I've
fretted over off and on.  It all boils down to the fact we schedule
programs in order of priority and can't easily account for some of the
state changes that occur as things actually get recorded
the same "messy and probably unnecessary" conclusion.

> Even though there may be odd results when doing stupid things,
> this should cover the more general cases where a rule that is
> ineligible to record will lose to one that is still eligible.

Agreed, but I still want to run it for a few more days myself.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net