[mythtv] Proposed commercial detector

Attila Nagy nagy.attila.gabor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:07:20 UTC 2007

Hello

On 3/22/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> Commercial skip has been working well enough for me lately that I
> haven't been motivated to work on it as much as othe things like
> Storage Groups, etc. that I have a more immediate need for.  I
> don't think there's anything in the experimental branch for ratings
> symbol detection either.

Is there some kind of description about the logo detection strategy?
I've tried to look into the code, but on the first look it was too
obfuscated for me.

I'm also for the rating detection, because things work a little
different in my country, and the logo detection does not work so well.

In a few words: we have fewer, but longer breaks than in the US. The
breaks usually are built up the following way: commercial pops in (may
there is a blank frame), and the logo is removed. After 4-5 minutes of
commercial, the station shows trailers of it's own programmes, and for
this part they put the logo on again. In some cases they have trailes
on the first third, then commercials, and then trailers again. The
current logo detection get's lost quite often.

On the other hand stations have to display rating logos all the time
during a show, usually it's in the lower left, or the lower right
corner.

I'm not shure if the current logo detection only detects one logo on
the screen, or is it aware of multiple logos? In the latter the
appearance and disappearance of the different logos could give another
hint on when the show is actually on.

--
Nagy Attila Gabor