[mythtv] detecting client status on the backend.

Darnell Morgan morgande51 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:31:30 UTC 2007

Hello developers,

I have an issue that sometimes pops up with remote clients. I have a single
tuner backend/frontend with a remote xbox client and a remote Apple
powerbook client.

Lets say that a remote client is using the sole tuner to watch live tv. And
lets say that that client looses communication with the backend for a reason
(power is turned off by accident, system crash or lockup). From the backend
perspective, the sole tuner is still being used by the remote client.

It will remain 'in use' forever, until a scheduled recording job comes in
that forces the backend to release the tuner so it can use it record a job.
If another client tries to access the sole tuner for live tv viewing, it
will be denied because the tuner is in use even though there is nobody
really using it.

I'm not for sure if the myth protocol is designed to handle this situation.
If it is, can someone direct me with how to prevent this from happening?  If
not, how hard would it be to implement support for active 'clients' on the
backend within the protocol?  Such that if live TV is in use and a client is
not responding for some reasons then the backend releases the tuner.

Any suggestions?