[mythtv] MythGame PC game scanning bug?

Marc Alban malban at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 13 02:58:30 UTC 2007

Marc Alban wrote:
> As a workaround I tried using the "OTHER" game type for my PC games and
> the problem was resolved.  Maybe the offending code can simply be
> removed since it is a special case for scanning PC games, which doesn't
> seem to be needed since "OTHER" apparently to works fine.  Is there a
> specific reason why PC games have a special case?
>
> Marc

I found the changeset where this code was added, which claims to fix
adding and launching PC games: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/6782

I'm not sure what the problem was or how this is supposed to fix it.  My
best guess is that this is meant to treat each PC game as its own "game
player".
The game players name would then be used as the path to the game
executable.  That doesn't seem to conform to the way the rest of the
system works.
In order for the game to be recognized it still has to be scanned so a
dummy file would need to be put in its own directory to be scanned.
Also no
command line arguments could be defined.  None of this seems like the
intended usage, but is the only think I can come up with.  Am I missing
something?

The suggested way to add PC games on the user-list and wiki is to create
a directory with the game executables (or scripts with call the
executables) and
then have the system scan that under the "PC" game type.  The game
player command is just left blank.  This is also matches with how the
rest of the system works and seems to work as expected (for the "OTHER"
game type).

Marc