[mythtv] Drop MySQL 3.23?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Mar 5 21:46:47 UTC 2007

* On Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 02:51:18PM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > It's amazing how much extra code we have just to support MySQL 3.23.
> > Even MySQL-version-independent SQL is a pain.  True, it's only
> > independent of versions between 3.23 and 5.x, but that actually helps
> > prove my point.
>
> Is there any reason we can't just drop MySQL 3.23 support?  How many
> people are really using it anymore?

MythTV v0.21 will be the last version to support MySQL v3.23.  After v0.21
is released, we will try to maintain comatibility with MySQL v4.x for a
while although I am not sure how long that will be.  I just upgraded my
production and development DB servers from v3.23 to v5.0.22 and I was one
of the last developer holdouts.  Kevin is the only one that I know of that
is left.  I've been running my DB inside a VM for a long time so upgrading
was as simple as creating another VM with a newer MySQL, backing up and
restoring the DB, and cutting over my 'mythdb' IP alias to the new box.

There is no current release date for 0.21, so it is uncertain how long
you'll still be able to use MySQL v3.23 with Myth.  I wouldn't be surprised
to see some patches soon after 0.21 that convert some of the inefficient
MySQL v3.32-isms into code that works with newer versions only, so SVN trunk
will soon become incompatible with MySQL v3.23 after MythTV v0.21 is
released (whenver that is).  :)

--
Chris