[mythtv] New method for channel icon lookup

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Mar 4 23:53:46 UTC 2007

After several weeks of coding/testing, I can now say that the new
channel icon lookup code is "stable" and ready for more mainstream
testing, as well as integration into mythtv-setup, frontend, etc.

I have created a new script called channel_icons.pl, which is located in
contrib/master_iconmap/ (fyi, it requires the perl bindings from svn
mythtv in order to work).  This script connects to services.mythtv.org
to perform lookups/searches for all of the channels in your database,
and will then (after prompting) submit any choices back to the server
for inclusion in the default setup (after verification by admins).

It's my goal to have this completely replace the current master_iconmap
stuff, since the new features track xmltvid, dvb id and atsc id fields
as well as callsign (which isn't used much outside of north america).

Please contact me if you're interested in helping to integrate this tool
with the rest of MythTV.

-Chris