[mythtv] Schema updates

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Mar 4 08:52:41 UTC 2007

    > Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 08:12:54 +0000
    > From: Allan Stirling <Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org>

    > f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > >     > Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:37:04 +0000
    > >     > From: Allan Stirling <Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org>
    > >
    > >     > And adding _another_ manual step doesn't improve matters for
    > >     > anyone.

    > > As I said, without building a complete one- or two-machine experimental
    > > setup on a net I can be assured won't accidentally screw up my production
    > > machines, -I- won't be running SVN at all, so this is good advice to
    > > someone, but unfortunately not to me.

    > And as I said in the part of my reply you snipped, patches

I didn't snip ANY PART of your reply!

But your claim that I -did- is certainly pretty snippy... :)

    > get more attention than trying to 'win other people over' by
    > arguing with them. It doesn't matter who is right - You both
    > end up looking petulant if you don't at least try to do
    > something about the situation.

I -am- trying to do something about the situation.  Step 1 is making
sure that -any- attempt to fix it will be allowed!  (Step 2 is finding
out whether my ideas on -how- to fix it make sense before a single
line of code gets written---no matter who writes it.  Or are you of
the opinion that the design should come -after- the code gets
written?)

OTOH, unless Isaac is willing to have the patch committed, people are
just wasting their time making patches at all---much less, in my case,
building isolated test setups to even be -able- to make the patches.
And his reply tonight seems to indicate just that.  Perhaps I
misunderstood him; we'll see if he clarifies.

And finally, there are certainly cases when someone suggested a
feature, and someone else implemented it.  Witness cpinkham's recent
delayed-user-jobs commit.  But it's obvious that there's some
controversy over actually keeping users from accidentally screwing
themselves, so saying "go make a patch" is premature at best.