[mythtv] add support for SQLite?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Mar 4 01:00:57 UTC 2007

* On Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 11:07:51PM +0000, James Chapman wrote:
> > Converting is not worth the effort just to safe space/memory.
>
> I'm not trying to reduce the size of the database either; it's the
> filesystem size (i.e. executable/library code size) and run-time memory
> footprint that matters to me. Specifically, I'm trying to pave the way
> for enlightened commercial STB suppliers to build and sell commercial
> STBs with MythTV inside. Right now, the hardware costs are too high for
> commercial MythTV-based STBs to be viable. Not enough people would pay
> double(?) the price of alternative products just for access to the cool
> features that MythTV offers. However, with some tweaks, I'm convinced
> that MythTV could be made to fit the hardware price point for deployment
> in next generation, commercial STBs. One tweak is to find a database
> with a smaller footprint.

So doubling flash to 32MB to hold a compressed embedded MySQL along with
the extra 32-64MB of RAM is going to double the price of this PVR?  I'd
venture to say that the MPEG-2 license is going to cost more than those
two chips combined.  Don't forget about the Qt license as well.  Memory
is probably the least thing holding a MythTV STB back, there are much
more costlier things that would make up the final price.

> There are Linux-based dual HD PVRs in the field whose entire root
> filesystem is stored in 16M flash (compressed) and use a CPU with less
> than 64MB RAM... :)

I'm betting they don't use Qt. :)  Their schedulers aren't near as
complex either.  It's pretty easy to use a low-end DB if your scheduler
only consists of exact timeslot and title matches with a little
duplicate checking thrown in for good measure.

--
Chris